- Home /
- ECS Health and Safety Test
ECS Health and Safety Test
Health & Safety for ECS holders
What is the ECS H&S test?
See FAQs for a list of ECS H&S test exemptions
- It is compulsory to hold a current H&S qualification in order to apply for and be awarded with an ECS card.
- The ECS H&S test is specifically designed to meet the H&S requirements of electrotechnical personnel. Those who successfully pass the ECS assessment will be awarded with an ECS H&S Certificate (valid for 2 years from the date of award), issued by the JIB or SJIB as appropriate, which can be used for the purpose of obtaining an ECS card only.
- Applicants who already meet or exceed the required level of H&S knowledge due to existing (approved) qualifications held will be exempt from taking the ECS H&S Test. Such applicants will need to provide a copy of a current up-to-date qualification certificate showing that they hold one of the approved exemptions.
Card and Certificate Expiry
The Health & Safety Assessment Certificate is valid for 2 years, and an ECS card must be applied for within that time. Thereafter, the ECS card is valid for 3 years. A subsequent Health & Safety Assessment will need to be taken in order to renew the card at the end of this 3-year period.
About the ECS H&S assessment
- The ECS H&S assessment consists of 40 multiple choice questions, randomly selected from a database of approximately 300.
- 'Closed book' assessment - no revision materials will be allowed into the exam room.
- The candidate is allowed 30 minutes to complete the assessment.
- The pass mark for the assessment is 85% i.e. 34 correct answers out of 40.
Preparation and revision
An ECS Question and Answer Book is available to help candidates prepare for their ECS Health and Safety Assessment. Due to the specific electrical content in the ECS assessment, books supplied by other agencies (CITB etc.) are not appropriate. This publication contains all the questions and answers from the database that is currently used for the assessment.
Note: We require candidates to obtain the question and answer book at least ten working days prior to sitting the assessment, to allow adequate time for preparation. In the case of in-company or multiple bookings, it is the employer’s responsibility to ensure that this condition is satisfied.
You can order a print copy of theECS Question and Answer Book to be sent out to you, at a cost of £3.50 (VAT included) each.
Download an electronic version of the book here
How do I book an ECS H&S test?
England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland
To enquire about or book an ECS test, please contact your preferred provider directly. Advance booking is essential.
Nationwide assessments (England, Wales and Northern Ireland)
Paper-based assessments are provided by the ECA at various nationwide venues with an online assessment available at Swanley, Kent.
To book an assessment through the ECA please:
Download the Assessment Information and booking form
Call the ECS Assessment Administration team on: 0845 313 1532
Please note that any Health & Safety assessments paid for by debit/credit card via the above form
or phone line will appear on your statement as ‘ECA’, who provide the assessment service on
behalf of the ECS.
Computer-based assessments from UNITE the Union
Visit the UNITE website or email:email@example.com
Nationwide assessments (paper-based) from the SJIB.
Visit the SJIB website