Please Note: This ECS card is being replaced by the new Network Infrastructure card.
All ECS datacomms cards have been withdrawn for new applications from 1st January 2021 and will be withdrawn for renewal applications from 30th June 2021. For more details please see the Network Infrastructure information page.
The ECS Datacomms Technician card is for those who hold Advanced Datacomms Specialist in addition to 3 years' experience. They must be capable of designing, commissioning and modifying networks; can demonstrate supervisory experience and knowledge of emerging technologies, and be able to demonstrate knowledge of all necessary construction and wiring regulations.
Eligibility and requirements
To be eligible for an ECS Datacomms Technician card, applicants must meet the following criteria:
1. Have passed the S/NVQ Level 3 in Electrotechnical Services Installing and inspecting Structured Cabling Systems with three years post qualification experience
If the S/NVQ is not held, the applicant must:
- Hold the ‘ECS Advanced Datacomms Specialist’ card with 3 years' experience
- Must have supervisory experience
- Have knowledge of emerging technologies
- Be capable of designing network modifications
- Know the most effective and economical way to do the job
- Know how to apply EAWR 1989, 22-29 & 31
- Know the IEE Wiring Regulations necessary for data cabling industry
- Know the Construction Industry Regulations
2. Hold a current ECS Health, Safety and Environmental Assessment. For details visit the the ECS H&S Assessment page