JIB Grading

JIB grading is used to identify a cardholder’s position and status in the electrotechnical industry.

To be awarded with a JIB grade, you have to prove you have the qualifications, and also the experience, for the ECS occupation and JIB grade being applied for.

JIB grading is available to anyone who meets the grading requirements, however only certain occupations have a JIB grade associated with them.

Jump down to each section for more information:

What's the difference between an occupation and a grade?
What does it mean if I have a JIB grade?
What occupations can be graded?
What are the grading levels?
How do I apply for a JIB grade?

What’s the difference between an occupation and a grade?

The ECS Occupation and the JIB Grade are shown on the ECS card separately.

The ECS occupation…

  • is the role determined by the ECS that matches the qualifications supplied by you during the application process.
  • more than one ECS occupation can be held (for example, the main occupation of Installation Electrician can be held with a secondary occupation of Building Controls Engineer) but each occupation must be backed up by qualification evidence before it can be awarded.

A JIB grade shows…

  • the level that the cardholder is working at within the industry, for a given ECS occupation.
  • the responsibility and technical training of the cardholder for their occupation.

What does it mean if I have a JIB grade?

If you work for a JIB member company… the JIB Grade means you are entitled to the terms and conditions of employment linked to that grade, through the nationally recognised collective agreement between the industry employers and employees. See the JIB Handbook sections 2 and 4 for more details on these terms and conditions.

The agreement includes pay rates, travel/subsistence payments, health care and other employment benefits. You will need endorsement from your employer when making your grading application if you work for a JIB member company.

If you don’t work for a JIB member company… you may still wish to apply for a JIB grade to show your industry status. Being able to show you have met the additional responsibility and technical requirements for a JIB grade might be needed for some types of work, such as being approved for inspection and testing.

Back to top

What occupations can be graded?

Grading is not available for all card types. The card types available for JIB grading are the core Electrical Occupations:

  • Installation Electrician
  • Maintenance Electrician
  • Electrical Fitter
  • Distribution Networks Electrician
  • Electrical Winder
  • Instruments Mechanic
  • Marine Electrician
  • Wireman/Panel Builder
  • Radio/Television Electrician
  • Telecommunications Fitter

Back to top

Grading Levels

Each grade is determined by a person’s job role, duties and responsibilities. The grades available are:

Core Grade
Typically to gain the Core Grade, you have to have completed a formal apprenticeship and hold the industry NVQ Level 3 relevant to the occupation you wish to be graded against.

Approved Grade
The Approved Grade shows the cardholder has achieved the Core Grade and, after at least two years’ experience, has taken up the additional responsibilities. Typically the grade of Approved will include the oversight of other team members on a project.

There is additional training required to progress to the Approved Grade. Depending on the Core Grade, this is usually a qualification in Initial Verification and Periodic Inspection & Testing. The qualifications needed are dependent on the duties and occupation of the cardholder.

Technician Grade
The Technician Grade demonstrates that the operative is working at a supervisory level with a high technical skill.

The Approved Grade must have been held for at least five years prior to the Technician Grade being applied for, with at least three years in a supervisory capacity.

To gain a Technician Grade, the applicant must demonstrate additional skills and ability in both technical and managerial areas of the company’s business.

Formal qualifications at level 4 and above are also required. These qualifications are typically in BS7671 design and verification of electrical installations. Other higher level technical qualifications will be needed for the Technician Grade, dependent on the original Core Grade that was held.

Back to top

How to apply for a JIB Grade

You do not have to be employed by a JIB member to apply for a JIB grade.

If you meet the criteria and have the relevant qualifications and experience you can apply for a JIB grade or re-grade.

If you work for a JIB member company you must have your employers endorsement before you can apply for a JIB grade.

Any grade can be applied for, but all the grade requirements (including qualifications and time restrictions) for each lower grade must have also been met.

For your grading application to be considered you will need to include a copy of the recognised qualification certificate/s in the same discipline as the ECS occupation and JIB grade you’re applying for.

Before applying please make sure you fully meet the requirements of the JIB grade you are applying for.

Back to top