Experienced Worker Assessment

Working in the electrical industry for years but don't have an NVQ Level 3?

If you've got many years experience of working in the electrical industry but have never completed an apprenticeship or NVQ Level 3, there's now a way you can get formally assessed and meet the requirements for an ECS gold card.

The Electrotechnical Experienced Worker Assessment recognises your existing industry experience and takes into account the work you've been carrying out to the nationally recognised standard. When you've successfully gone through the assessment process, and also have the wiring regulations plus inspection and testing qualifications, you'll gain an industry Level 3 qualification that meets the requirements for an ECS gold card application.

The JIB Mature Candidate Assessment is being replaced by the Electrotechnical Experienced Worker Assessment which has been developed by TESP to mirror the current apprenticeship standard so there is one single industry qualification route recognised in the electrotechnical sector.

More information about the Electrotechnical Experienced Worker Qualification is available on the TESP website.

If you are currently registered on the JIB Mature Candidate Assessment you will have a limited time to complete your dedicated assessment programme. You will need to work with your training provider to complete your programme without delay or face having to restart your assessment on the new scheme. The JIB Mature Candidate Assessment will still be recognised as meeting the ECS gold card application for anyone who holds the qualification.

The JIB offers two ECS Experienced Worker cards to support people while they complete the Electrotechnical Experienced Worker Assessment. Training providers that offer the Experienced Worker Assessment and are registered with the JIB are able to order a special ECS card directly from the JIB, alternatively, an application with full supporting evidence can be made in the normal way.

Information for training providers about the JIB Training Provider Scheme are available here.

Once you have the Experienced Worker Qualification you are able to apply for your ECS gold card in the normal way. 

The assessment works like this:

  • Register with one of the training providers around the country who offer the Electrotechnical Experienced Worker Qualification.
  • An independent assessor will talk to you about how your existing skills and experience can be used to contribute towards the qualification requirements.
  • Site assessments of your work can be arranged, and any gaps in training will be identified. Often all that you need to do is the industry competency assessment (the AM2E from NET).

Take a look at our 'Eligibility' and 'Providers' sections for more information.

Did you know? If you completed an industry-recognised apprenticeship - even if it was a long time ago! - you can apply for an ECS gold card providing you can supply proof of your apprenticeship completion, such as signed papers/deeds.