If you hold the level 3 Fire, Emergency and Security Systems (FESS) Apprenticeship Standard you should apply for the FESS Systems Technician gold ECS card. For more details please see the Fire, Emergency and Security Systems (FESS) information page.
The Security & Emergency Systems Maintenance (Level 3) ECS card is for operatives who have gained the industry level 3 qualification and are diagnosing, maintaining and repairing security & emergency systems.
Working at this level typically involves carrying out the following duties unsupervised:
- apply security system specification to physical installation and customer requirements
- establish operational feasibility of security and emergency systems
- install a complete system; install and test security system equipment which uses data transmission protocols
- commission and handover operational security systems
- audit installed security and emergency systems
- diagnose causes of faults
- rectify and restore
- apply on-site security and emergency systems installation safety statutes and relevant regulations
Eligibility and requirements
To be eligible for this card, applicants must:
1. Meet ONE of the following criteria:
- Have successfully completed an Approved Apprenticeship in Emergency and Security Systems
- Have successfully completed the NVQ Level 3 in Providing Security, Emergency and Alarm Systems (1882) or (1866)
2. Hold a current Health & Safety Certificate or recognised H&S qualification. For more details visit the ECS H&S Assessment page.