Please Note: This ECS card is being replaced by the new Fire, Emergency and Security Systems (FESS) card.
All ECS Emergency & Security Systems cards will be withdrawn for new applications and renewal applications (at existing card expiry date) from 30th June 2021.
For more details please see the Fire, Emergency and Security Systems (FESS) information page.
The Security & Emergency Systems Maintenance (Level 3) ECS card is for operatives who have gained the industry level 3 qualification and are diagnosing, maintaining and repairing security & emergency systems.
Working at this level typically involves carrying out the following duties unsupervised:
- apply security system specification to physical installation and customer requirements
- establish operational feasibility of security and emergency systems
- install a complete system; install and test security system equipment which uses data transmission protocols
- commission and handover operational security systems
- audit installed security and emergency systems
- diagnose causes of faults
- rectify and restore
- apply on-site security and emergency systems installation safety statutes and relevant regulations
Eligibility and requirements
To be eligible for this card, applicants must:
1. Meet ONE of the following criteria:
- Have successfully completed an Approved Apprenticeship in Emergency and Security Systems
- Have successfully completed the NVQ Level 3 in Providing Security, Emergency and Alarm Systems (1882) or (1866)
- Have held an ECS Emergency & Security Systems Maintenance white card for at least five years and provide a detailed employer reference, confirming their competence in this field
2. Hold a current Health & Safety Certificate or recognised H&S qualification. For more details visit the ECS H&S Assessment page.