Please Note: This ECS card is being replaced by the new Fire, Emergency and Security Systems (FESS) card.
All ECS Fire Detection & Alarm Systems cards will be withdrawn for new applications and renewal applications (at existing card expiry date) from 30th June 2021.
For more details please see the Fire, Emergency and Security Systems (FESS) information page.
The Fire Detection & Alarm Systems Designer ECS card is for operatives that have gained the industry level 3 qualification in design.
Working at this level typically involves carrying out the following duties unsupervised:
- assessment of fire risks
- choice of detectors and/or suppression media
- understanding of safety issues
- effective working relationships
- installation of fire protection systems.
Eligibility and requirements
To be eligible for this card, applicants must:
1. Meet ONE of the following criteria:
- Have successfully completed an Approved Apprenticeship in Fire Detection & Alarm Systems
- Level 3 NVQ in Providing Security, Emergency & Alarm Systems (1882) or (1866)
2. Hold a current ECS Health, Safety and Environmental Assessment. For details visit the ECS H&S Assessment page