The ECS Datacomms Specialist card is for operatives who are qualified to level 2 in a recognised datacomms qualification, and are installing and maintaining structured cabling systems for datacomms systems.
Work typically includes the installation of structured cabling, including UTP, STP, FTP, Co-AX, general common cables, single-mode fibre and multi-mode fibre cables with all necessary containment and associated connection units; installation of earthing and bonding cables. Also the fitting out enclosures with structured cable termination equipment (connection units, hubs, switches, routers, patch panels etc).
Eligibility and requirements
To be eligible for an ECS Datacomms Specialist card, applicants must meet the following criteria:
1. You must hold one of the following:
- Datacomms Specialist apprenticeship
- Award in Communications Cabling (such as the C&C 3666/3667)
- S/NVQ Level 2 in Structured Cabling Systems
2. Provide a letter of support and a job description from your employer
3. Hold a current ECS Health, Safety and Environmental Assessment. For details visit the ECS H&S Assessment page.