If you are applying for your first Manager card the requirements have changed. If you already hold a Manager card, from 01 January 2019 you will also need to meet the new requirements.
The following management occupations are available:
- Electrical Site Manager
- Electrical Contract Manager
- Site Manager
- Project Manager
- Contract Manager
Eligibility and requirements
For existing cardholders until 31 December 2018:
To be eligible for this card, applicants must:
1. Meet ONE of the following criteria:
- Have achieved a Level 5 National Vocational Qualification (NVQ) or SVQ
- Have completed more than one year’s experience in the present post
- Have completed more than one year’s experience in a previous position
2. Have full company support and provide a job reference/ job description as part of an application.
3. Hold a current ECS Health, Safety and Environmental Assessment. For details visit the ECS H&S Assessment page.
For new applicants:
There are two routes depending on your existing qualifications:
Route 1: If you have or meet gold card requirements
If you already have an ECS gold card, or meet the requirements, you are eligible for a Manager’s card once you undertake one of the specified Health & Safety courses.
Route 2: Level 4 qualification
You can also apply with a Level 4 management qualification such as BTEC, degree or JIB-recognised company programme.
PLUS H&S specified course
Whether you take route 1 or route 2 you will also need to take one of the following courses:
- Construction Skills (CITB) Site Supervisor Safety Training Scheme (SSSTS)
- IOSH Managing Safely in Construction
- CITB Site Management Safety Training
- CCNSG Safety Passport - Supervising / Leading a Team Safety Course
AND ECS HS&E Assessment (only if you’re not exempt by taking one of these courses)
The course above are accepted as a 3-year exemption from the ECS HS&E Assessment. If you gain or have gained one of these courses within the last three years, you will not need to sit the ECS Assessment separately when you apply, until the next point of renewal.
Do I need to act now / will I lose my card after 01 January? No - your existing card is still valid until its expiry date. You only need to meet these requirements when you renew your card - not immediately after 01 January 2019. For instance, if your card expires on 15 March 2020, you will not need to act until then and your current card is valid until this date.
Where can I find the H&S courses?
Unfortunately, we’re not able to recommend a particular training provider. However, an online search on any of those course titles will bring up a number of options for you to explore, based on your location.
Why are these changes being made?
The Construction Leadership Council, the body which drives industry improvement, has announced that nationally-recognised qualifications should be in place for all construction-related occupations by 2020. In recognition of this, CSCS has changed its partnership criteria and so the ECS needs to make these changes, in order to meet the new requirements. The JIB supports the introduction of appropriate qualifications for Managers, as part of the overall drive to raise standards across the electrotechnical industry.