ECS Labourer Card - New Criteria

New requirements were introduced on 01 August 2018 for all new ECS Labourer card applications and apply to individuals who have never held an ECS card before. If you already hold an ECS Labourer card, these changes came into effect from 01 January 2019 and you will need to meet them when you renew your card. 

Download an information sheet on these changes

What do you need? 

Route 1: Do you already have a JIB-approved electrical theory qualification?

  • If you already have a JIB-approved electrical theory qualification such as C&G 2365, 2330 or 2360 (or EAL equivalents) this will be accepted for your Labourer card. View a full list of approved qualifications
  • You will also need to pass the ECS Health, Safety & Environmental Assessment. 

Route 2: If you don’t hold a JIB-approved theory qualification...

If you don’t hold a JIB-approved electrical theory qualification, you’ll need the following: 

1. Successful completion of ONE of the following Health & Safety courses: 

  • CITB Health and Safety Awareness: Site Safety Plus
  • CCNSG Safety Passport – National Course or Renewal Course
  • Safety Pass Alliance (SPA) Core H&S Course 
  • IOSH Working Safely (IOSH Approved Centre Classroom invigilated exam only – not online)

2. You only need to sit a separate ECS Health, Safety & Environmental Assessment if you passed any of the above courses over three years ago.

If you have taken the courses listed in item 1 within the last three years, you do not have to sit the separate ECS HS&E Assessment.

3. Proof of employment in the electrical industry

This needs to be in the form of a written reference from your employer to confirm you are employed by that company. View more details on what should be included in your reference. If you normally work for an employment business you should obtain a signed letter from the business to confirm your dates of engagement as an Electrical Labourer. 

Existing Cardholders:

Do I need to act now / will I lose my card? No - your existing card is still valid until its expiry date. You only need to meet these requirements when you renew your card - not immediately after 01 January 2019. For instance, if your card expires on 15 March 2021, you will not need to meet the new requirements until you come to renew your card and your current card is valid until this date. 

Where can I find the H&S courses? 

Whilst we can't recommend a particular training provider, here are some good starting points to search for these courses: 

Why are these changes being made? 

The Construction Leadership Council, the body which drives industry improvement, has announced that nationally-recognised qualifications should be in place for all construction-related occupations by 2020. In recognition of this, CSCS has changed its partnership criteria and so the ECS needs to make these changes, in order to meet the new requirements. The JIB supports the introduction of appropriate qualifications for Labourers, as part of the overall drive to raise standards across the electrotechnical industry.