Making changes to your ECS card

If you would like to add new qualifications or occupations to your ECS card, or would like a new JIB grade, you can do this in two ways:

  1. Via a Replacement application – this for when you are ordering a new card during its three year cycle.
  2. Via a Renewal application – this is needed when your card has less than three months before it expires.

There is a charge made for both renewal and replacement ECS card applications, so if you’d like to save incurring costs for both, we recommend saving your changes until you renew your card within 3 months of your existing expiry date.

Types of changes


You may hold up to five additional occupations on your ECS card, however you must meet the full qualification requirements for each additional occupation you wish to apply for.

Full details on the ECS occupational requirements are in the ECS Card Types section.


Additional qualifications, for example a BS7671 or Inspection and Testing qualification, may be added to your ECS card.

During the application process you will need to identify the qualification you would like to add to your record, and upload the valid certificate as proof of your qualification.

JIB Grade

If you already hold a JIB Grade and wish to progress to a higher grade, or if you’re applying for a grade for the first time, you must meet the grade requirements for your main occupation.

Moving to a higher grade requires not only additional qualification, but also a requirement on length of time spent in your role, as set out in the Grading Definitions section of the JIB handbook.

For example, for an Installation Electrician to move to from Electrician grade to Approved Electrician grade, they must have:

  • Served two years in the grade of Electrician
  • The Level 3 Award in the Initial Verification & Certification of Electrical Installations
  • The Level 3 Award in the Periodic Inspection, Testing & Certification of Electrical Installations.

Please see the grading page for more information about JIB Grading.

To make changes to your ECS card either as part of a Renewal or Replacement application please visit MyECS