This website uses cookies. To get the most from your visit, please click 'allow' to consent to their use     More Info
Home > FAQ

Take a look and click on the categories below to find answers to a variety of typical ECS questions:

How long is a card valid for?

The time an ECS card is valid for will depend on the card type and the rules of the scheme. Typically an ECS craft card will be valid for a maximum of 3 years, however, some ECS cards have a shorter validity period. An ECS craft card is valid for 3 years, ECS Trainee cards are valid for 24 months with Experienced Worker, Temporary, Conditional and Provisional cards valid for 18 months.

When an ECS card has less than 3 months to run it can be renewed, the holder will need to sit a Health & Safety assessment in order to obtain a new card unless they have a valid exemption.

Trainee cards cannot be renewed, there must be progression of the training programme demonstrated to move to the next training stage. Please see the adult training scheme in the JIB hand book for more information.

Experienced Worker, Temporary, Conditional and Provisional cards have specific requirements and cannot be renewed. Please see the grading definitions in the JIB hand book for more information.

What if I lose or damage my card?

If an ECS card is lost or damaged it can be reissued using our replacement service. A copy of the last card issued will be provided on application and payment of the replacement card fee. The application for a replacement card is available up to three months before the original ECS card is due to expire. If there is less than three months left on the card an application to renew the ECS card will need to be made in the normal way.

The easiest way to get a replacement card is to use the online renewal service. Alternatively, the Replacement Card Application form can be downloaded here.