Please Note: This ECS card is being replaced by the new Network Infrastructure card.
All ECS datacomms cards have been withdrawn for new applications from 1st January 2021 and will be withdrawn for renewal applications from 30th June 2021. For more details please see the Network Infrastructure information page.
The Datacomms Engineer ECS card is for senior operatives who hold an ECS Datacomms Technician card and have 3 years' experience, or hold an appropriate higher qualification (Degree, HNC/HND etc.) in datacomms installation and commissioning network infrastructure.
Applicants must be suitably skilled to carry out the design, specification, estimation and documentation of large scale data or telecoms projects, and must be able to demonstrate extensive knowledge of appropriate European Directives and British, European and World standards.
Eligibility and requirements
To be eligible for an ECS Datacomms Engineer card, applicants must meet the following criteria:
1. Be able to supply proof of ONE of the following:
- Hold the ECS Advanced Datacomms Technician card with 3 years' experience
- Have passed the S/NVQ Level 3 in Electrotechnical Services Installing and inspecting Structured Cabling Systems with six years' post-qualification experience
- Hold a relevant academic qualification such as an Honours Degree, HNC or HND and be capable of demonstrating the following skills:
- Capable and demonstrable experience in designing all parts of data and telecommunication systems on large-scale projectsCapable of specifying equipment, producing project documentation including drawings for large scale cabled LANs and wireless network systems
- Capable of running multi-building contracts and of demonstrating a working knowledge of all standards, directives and regulations appertaining to the aforementioned tasks
- Capable of producing accurate cost estimates for small and large scale data and telecommunications projects
- Capable of undertaking surveys of existing systems and making recommendations for improvements to system for current performance and for future requirements
- Must have extensive knowledge of European Directives and British, European and International Standards
2. Hold a current ECS Health, Safety and Environmental Assessment. For details visit the ECS H&S Assessment page.