New requirements are in place for Electrical Labourer card applications and renewals - see below for full details.
The Electrical Labourer ECS card is for people working in the electrical industry in a supportive role to assist electricians and other qualified staff with the installation of cables and other unskilled work, under supervision. They are to assist but not carry out any craft work that an electrician carries out.
A labourer has a specific job role within the JIB grading structure.
In some situations this card may be issued if you cannot meet the qualification requirements of other cards such as Installation Electrician. If you hold a Labourer card, you can upgrade to an ECS gold card once you have gained further qualifications.
1. If you already have a qualification such as C&G 2365, 2330 or 2360 (or EAL equivalents), this will be accepted for your card. View a full list of approved qualifications (Only the health and safety element of these qualifications is recognised by the JIB for a Labourer card).
2. You will also need to pass the ECS Health, Safety & Environmental Assessment.
If you don’t hold a JIB-approved electrical theory qualification, you’ll need the following:
1. Successful completion of ONE of the following Health & Safety courses:
2. You only need to sit a separate ECS Health, Safety & Environmental Assessment if you passed any of the above courses over three years ago.
If you have taken the courses listed in item 1 within the last three years, you do not have to sit the separate ECS HS&E Assessment.
3. Proof of employment in the electrical industry
This needs to be in the form of a written reference from your employer to confirm you are employed by that company. View more details on what should be included in your reference. If you normally work for an employment business you should obtain a signed letter from the business to confirm your dates of engagement as an Electrical Labourer.
Where can I find the H&S courses?
Whilst we can't recommend a particular training provider, here are some good starting points to search for these courses: