Electrical Labourer

White with green stripe

Card information

The Electrical Labourer ECS card is for people working in the electrical industry in a supportive role to assist electricians and other qualified staff with the installation of cables and other unskilled work, under supervision. They are to assist but not carry out any craft work that an electrician carries out.

A labourer has a specific job role within the JIB grading structure.

In some situations this card (or an Experiemced Worker card) may be issued if you cannot meet the qualification requirements of other cards such as Installation Electrician. If you hold a Labourer card, you can upgrade to an ECS gold card once you have gained further qualifications.

Eligibility and requirements

Route 1: Do you already have a JIB-approved electrical theory qualification?

1. If you already have a qualification such as C&G 2365, 2330 or 2360 or EAL equivalents, this will be accepted for your card. Please see a list of the right hand side of this page. 

2. You will also need to pass the ECS Health, Safety & Environmental Assessment. 

Route 2: If you don’t hold a JIB-approved theory qualification

If you don’t hold a JIB-approved electrical theory qualification, you’ll need the following: 

1. Successful completion of ONE of the approved Health and Safety qualifications or assessments listed below: 

  • Level 1 Health and Safety in a Construction Environment qualification (such as City & Guilds, EAL, BPEC etc) – n.b this does not exempt you from the ECS Health, Safety & Environmental Assessment regardless of the date of completion
  • CITB Health and Safety Awareness: Site Safety Plus (both classroom & remotely invigilated)
  • CCNSG Safety Passport – National Course or Renewal Course
  • Safety Passport Alliance (SPA) Core H&S Course 

2. You will need to sit a separate ECS Health, Safety & Environmental Assessment unless:

  • You completed one of the eligible CITB, CCNSG, or SPA courses listed above within the past 3 years
  • Or, you have completed another course listed on this page within the past 3 years.

3. Proof of engagement in the electrotechnical industry

If your employer has applied for the card through the Employer Portal, this has already been evidenced. Other proof can include:

  • a written reference from your employer to confirm you are employed by that company. View more details on what should be included in your reference
  • If you normally work for an employment business, a signed letter from the business to confirm your dates of engagement as an Electrical Labourer
  • an electrical qualification or certificate (such as BS7671 18th Ed. qualification), or enrolment on a relevant course
  • offer letter / contract of employment / payslip from electrotechnical business or similar. 

Where can I find the H&S courses or qualifications above? 

Whilst we don't recommend a particular training provider over another, here are some that provide these courses and qualifications to consider: 

Please Note: Following a recent decision of CSCS to withdraw recognition of certain IOSH courses while they collaborate to develop updated verification processes, ECS will also suspend acceptance of any IOSH course certificates after 31st August 2023. This will apply to all cards and all exemption routes. Read more

Apply Now