There are a number of exemptions that have been approved as meeting the occupational construction site safety requirements of the ECS Health, Safety & Environmental Assessment.
Individuals who hold any of the following certificates (issued within 3 years of an application being received by the JIB) are exempted from taking the ECS H&S Assessment. For instance if your certificate is dated 1st December 2020, we would need to have received your ECS application before 30th November 2023.
If you have completed an apprenticeship leading to an ECS gold card within the last three years of applying for your first craft card, this will be considered an exemption.
Please Note: Following a recent decision of CSCS to withdraw recognition of IOSH courses, ECS will also no longer accept any IOSH course or certificates after 31st August 2023. This will apply to all cards and all exemption routes. Read more
Assessments and Qualifications which allow a three year exemption:
- Apprenticeship Completion - Exemption for Initial ECS Card
- Level 3 Electrotechnical qualification (installation) or (maintenance) – Trailblazer (England)
- Level 3 NVQ / SVQ Diploma in Installing Electrotechnical Systems and Equipment (Buildings, Structures & Environment) (QCF)
- Level 3 NVQ / SVQ in Electrotechnical Services (Electrical Installation – Building and Structures)
- SQA/SJIB SVQ Level 3 in Electrical Installation
- ECITB Health and Safety Passport
- Construction Skills Register (CSR)
- CCNSG Safety Passport - National Course
- CCNSG Safety Passport - Supervising / Leading a team Safety Course
- CCNSG Safety Passport - Renewal Course
- Safety Passport Alliance (SPA) Core H & S Course
- Construction Skills (CITB Site Supervisor Safety Training Scheme (SSSTS)
- CITB Site Management Safety Training Scheme (SMSTS)
- CITB Site Management Safety Training Scheme Refresher (SMSTS Refresher)
- CITB Health and Safety Awareness Course (both classroom and remotely invigilated versions)
- ECA Operative & New Entrant H & S Awareness Course
- NEBOSH Diploma in Occupational Safety
- NEBOSH Level 3 General Certificate in Occupational Health & Safety
- NEBOSH Health and Safety at Work Qualification
In addition, the SJIB Electrotechnical Certification Scheme Health and Safety Assessment is recognised by the JIB.
Note: There are no exemptions for any of the ECS partner cards.