The Datacomms Specialist (CNCI) card is for datacomms installers that are responsible for the installation, termination and commissioning of data network structured cabling and can demonstrate they have undertaken the Specialist Datacomms training programme required for the card.
The Datacomms Specialist is responsible for the installation, termination and commissioning of data network structured cabling, as part of a team or independently. The structured cabling must installed in accordance with national and international standards for both fibre-optic and copper cable data networks. The role requires a working knowledge of network pathways, use of containment, spaces and segregation for installation of cables, along with the safe termination and testing of structured cable termination equipment, connection units, hubs, switches, routers, patch panels and similar equipment.
Eligibility and requirements
To be eligible for an ECS Datacomms Specialist (CNCI) card, applicants must meet the following criteria:
1. You must have completed either one of the following:
- BTEC Level 3 Advanced qualification in Datacomms Networks (Copper & Fibre) - Certified Network Cable Installation - (CNCI) with eiher
- the BTEC Level 3 Advanced Award in Data Communications Cable Installation Copper and Fibre Optics or
- the BTEC Level 3 in Certified Network Cable Installer Copper and Optical Fibre
- and three years’ experience
2. Hold a current ECS Health, Safety and Environmental Assessment. For details visit the ECS H&S Assessment page.