From 01 October 2018 the requirements for ECS Manager cards are changing. If you already hold a Manager card, from 01 January 2019 you will also need to meet the new requirements.
The following management occupations will be available:
- Electrical Site Manager
- Electrical Contract Manager
- Site Manager
- Project Manager
- Contract Manager
Download an information sheet with more details.
Current information (applicable until 01 October 2018):
The ECS Electrical Site Manager card is for staff to manage the electrical work carried out by their company on construction sites. The card acknowledges the managerial status and qualifications of the cardholder.
It is possible to hold both a black Manager card and a skilled gold card if you have qualified under both sets of criteria.
Applicants for this card must be qualified and experienced to carry out, as a minimum, the following activities as an Electrical Site Manager (alternative/additional activities may also be considered):
- Contribute to planning work methods, resources, teams & systems to meet project requirements
- Control contract costs, quality and progress and assess information
- Develop teams and individuals to enhance performance
- Develop own resources
- Develop effective working relationships
- Contribute to addressing poor performance of team members
- Facilitate meetings
- Implement works to meet project requirements
- Establish and oversee materials supply
Eligibility and requirements
Until 31 July 2018:
To be eligible for this card, applicants must:
1. Meet ONE of the following criteria:
- Have achieved a Level 4 National Vocational Qualification (NVQ) or SVQ (or above)
- Have completed more than one year’s experience in their present post
- Have completed more than one year’s experience in a previous position
2. Must have full company support and provide a job reference/ job description as part of an application.
3) Hold a current Health & Safety Certificate or recognised H&S qualification. For more details visit the ECS H&S Assessment page.
From 01 August 2018 (for initial card applications) and from 01 January 2019 (for card renewals):
1. Applicants must hold one of the following H&S qualifications.
- Construction Skills (CITB) Site Supervisor Safety Training Scheme (SSSTS)
- IOSH Managing Safely in Construction
- CITB Site Management Safety Training Scheme (SMSTS)
- CCNSG Safety Passport - Supervising / Leading a team Safety Course
These qualifications are accepted as a 3-year exemption from the ECS HS&E Assessment. If you have gained one of these qualifications within the last three years, you will not need to sit the ECS assessment separately when you apply for the new style of card, until the next point of renewal.
2. Have full company support and provide a job reference/ job description as part of an application.
3. The first time you renew this card under the new scheme, and for all subsequent renewals, you must hold a current ECS Health, Safety and Environmental Assessment. For details visit the ECS H&S Assessment page.