Health, Safety & Environmental Assessment

Before you can apply for an ECS card you'll need to pass an ECS Health, Safety & Environmental Assessment - or have a valid exemption. Find out more below...

Where can I take the assessment?

Health, Safety & Environmental Assessment

You must have an up-to-date health and safety qualification in order to be awarded with an ECS card. Why? It's designed to prevent accidents and promote safety and quality of work, to ensure all cardholders have a good level of health and safety awareness when on site.

You can meet the ECS H&S requirement by passing the ECS HS&E Assessment. Alternatively you might have a valid ‘exemption’ – this means you already hold a qualification that meets or exceeds the required level of H&S knowledge.

Unfortunately we cannot accept the CSCS H&S assessment, as the ECS test is specifically designed for health and safety relating to electrotechnical workers.

The ECS HS&E Assessment pass is valid for 2 years.for making an ECS application. You must submit your ECS application within that two-year period, or you’ll need to do a new assessment before your application can be processed.

Steps to follow:

  1. Choose where you'd like to take the assessment by looking at the locations and companies offering the assessment or by your employer booking a Remote Invigilation assessment
  2. Make your booking with your chosen provider.
  3. Visit our Preparation & Revision section to download the revision book. And revise!
  4. After the assessment, a result letter will be sent to you. This will typically be via an email to the address that you provide. This result letter will inform you if you have passed or failed the assessment.
  5. Once you've passed the assessment visit MyECS to continue your application.

Take a look at the sections below for more information about the assessment.